Eric's Reviews > Beautiful Lies

Beautiful Lies by Lisa Unger

Jan 08, 2009

bookshelves: have-read-on-deployment
Read in January, 2009

I didn't feel like I was this book's target audience. (Maybe the tagline from Cosmo on the front, back, and spine should have given away whose readers they were hoping to appeal to). I had several times while I was reading that I thought, "wow, this must be the kind of book that hip 30-ish women love."

After finishing it, I saw that there's a book club tie-in and you can get discussion guides for your book club - yep, totally written for hip 30-ish women.

I will give this book something, which could be viewed as either a negative or a positive. There are about a half dozen points in the novel that are very nice pieces of writing, but entirely out of place. I'm sure that Ms. Unger has been keeping journals or little pieces of writing for years and has somehow managed to squeeze some of her little favorites into this book, but they seem totally out of place. I was going to give it only 3 stars, but I stretched it out to a fourth because I felt like the author was just trying so hard to convey something and I think that with some of it ("it's all about choices") she's somewhat successful. The author is so obvious in so many places, but it still managed to suck me in.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Lies.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Perhaps this book would appeal more to a woman than a man -- it's more about relationships than action -- although I don't know how much age has to do with it. Let's just say this -- I haven't seen 30 or -ish in a very long time. ;-)