Readitnweep's Reviews > When We Touch

Sep 28, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: romance, contemp-romance
Read in September, 2012

If I were to judge the story only on how it pulled me in, I'd give it 4 stars as the angst was gripping. The plot had possibilities and the execution of it was good. The problem was with the characters.

Olivia: I wanted to slap her. Get over Kyle already! Since she'd left town, leaving him behind, albeit for a short duration, I thought her shock over him being with someone else was overblown, however, that could have been because he was with her sister. But again Olivia showed great weakness in blaming only her sister and not really blaming Kyle. Worse was her agreement to plan the wedding of her sister to Kyle. I couldn't buy off on this being explained by her wanting to please her parents. It was just too annoying that she agreed to do that - professional wedding planner or no.

Noelle: The evil sister. I kept waiting for an explanation for her behavior but there was none. She was completely one-dimensional, just there to be evil. And her parents went along for the ride. Makes for a boring - and unbelievable - character. Please round out characters more: especially antagonists!

Brandon: I didn't get the whole "he didn't think he was good for her" thing. She'd had a thing for him ages before, but he didn't pursue it because he didn't think he was good enough for Olivia. But, oh, wait! That was back at their high school junior prom. This was mentioned a bit too much for me. And the preceeding explanation didn't fly. It seemed more literary convenience than anything.

I did enjoy reading the story, but found these characters annoying and, even with the thick, delicious angst, began to lose interest half-way through due to the character issues mentioned above.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When We Touch.