Anisha's Reviews > The Casual Vacancy

The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling

F 50x66
Sep 28, 12

Read in September, 2012

Please do not compare this book to Harry Potter. In fact, while reading it, just forget it's even by JK Rowling. Otherwise, there is no way you can actually enjoy it for what it is.
I was so excited for this novel to come out. I pre-ordered it a month ago and was practically jumping up and down when I finally got it. I had not expected it to be anything like Harry Potter. I figured if JK Rowling had written book,it'd be amazing no matter what it was about.
It was the excess of profanity that really disappointed me. Ok, so I get it's an adult novel, but that doesn't mean you have to write a sex scene every five pages. Seriously.
The beginning is slow and I felt like giving up after the first 100 or so pages. The second half of the book is quite nice and I actually liked the ending. I loved how she made all the characters so real and her descriptions of Pagford are very well written. Out of all the characters, I feel she wrote the teenagers the best.
This book is about life. And life isn't magical all the time. It's tough and scary and unbearable. The stupidity of some of the characters was quite comical. I'll admit I enjoyed reading the chaos caused by 'The-Ghost-of-Barry-Fairbrother'.
JK Rowling hasn't created a masterpiece like the Harry Potter series, but it's safe to say she's published a very well written ADULT novel. :)

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Casual Vacancy.