LuAnn's Reviews > Alcatraz Versus the Scrivener's Bones

Alcatraz Versus the Scrivener's Bones by Brandon Sanderson

Jun 06, 2013

bookshelves: middle-grade
Read in June, 2013

Originally read: Jan 08, 2009. Very funny with lots of great literary references for an author/bibliophile like me. I did get a little annoyed with the opening pages of several chapters near the end. I know the author was doing it for the effect, but that effect wore thin after the third consecutive chapter with a similar opening point. I'm one of those people he chews out because I actually read this book without having read the first one, but I plan to do that just as soon as I can! Actually, the first book is sitting on my desk at school to read to a class of 7th graders. They will love it, I'm sure.
Reread June 4, 2013. Now that's I've read book 1 (okay, so it took me awhile!) my thought are still the same. I liked the books, but didn't love them because the narrative insertions were too much like Lemony Snickett and became annoying to me. I do have students, however, who are raving fans, so it speaks to the target audience, and that's all an author can really ask for.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alcatraz Versus the Scrivener's Bones.

message 1: by Luann (new)

Luann Okay, this is off-topic but it is rare that I find someone who not only is named *LuAnn* but spells it the same way... just had to share :-)