Leslie's Reviews > The Courage to Be a Stepmom: Finding Your Place Without Losing Yourself

The Courage to Be a Stepmom by Sue Patton Thoele

Oct 26, 09

bookshelves: books-i-own, 2009, women-s-lit
Recommended for: Stepmothers of all ages and ranges of experience
Read in January, 2009, read count: 1

The Subtitle (Finding your place without losing yourself) is an accurate description of what the book is about. When I first started looking into the literature out there about blended families, I became quickly discouraged because much of it was negative and discouraging. In fact I would encourage anyone looking for a book about this topic to do a little research and read a few reader reviews before choosing the book lest you find yourself reading something not right for you.

This book had some great reviews and from the beginning I felt encouraged rather than discouraged. The author gives some great and practical advice gleaned from both her own experience and from numerous interviews with other women who had experienced the myriad joys and pains of stepmotherhood. Two points that stand out in my memory most are the importance of focusing on your relationship with your husband (This relationship will remain once the kids have grown up and moved out.) and the importance of being true to yourself, knowing your own strengths, weaknesses, and limits. Basically the importance of learning to give yourself a break, take things slowly, and not be too hard on yourself when things don't go perfectly (something I am still learning how to do).

While I did not always agree with every word and found that some of the advice and scenarios did not apply to my particular situation, I found it to be a helpful way to begin my journey into stepmotherhood and will return to it in the future to peruse the pages filled with my highlighting of those valuable pieces of advice and encouragement I found while reading.

I would recommend this book to any woman who has chosen to be a part of a blended family whether she has her own children already or not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Courage to Be a Stepmom.

01/08/2009 page 9