Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms)'s Reviews > Starling

Starling by Lesley Livingston

Oct 04, 12

bookshelves: supernatural, young-adult
Read from September 26 to 29, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I was so looking forward to this book as although the Wondrous Strange trilogy is not my favorite YA series, it is one I really enjoyed. The Fennrys Wolf..or "Fenn" is my favorite character in that series although he is more or less part of a triangle - the left out part. Just a little background but The Fennrys Wolf was kidnapped by the fey King as a small child and trained and made into a Janus Guard and thus has long outlived his family and time in the real world. He was a Viking Prince destined to be a leader and this was stolen from him. The Janus are a group of warriors who guard the gate between the Otherworld and our world. At the end of the previous series Fenn offers to give up his life in exchange for Herne who was dying and is taken away in a carriage by Olrun the Valkyrie. She came for Herne but in order for him to live, a hero must die.

Starling begins with the introduction of Mason Starling who is a fencing champion attending an exclusive school in New York where she is training. One evening she and her friends and instructor have an otherworldly experience when a strange storm comes up and a huge tree comes crashing into the building bringing a naked blond boy with it. Close on his heels are a variety of monsters which of course results in a battle where this boy obviously excels. Thus The Fennrys Wolf arrives in New York a good hundred years after he left it. But he does not know who or what he is or where he came from. He has a vague memory of being closed in and in chains and bears scars on his wrists and ankles. He does know his name and realizes he knows the city. Mason is the only one who seems to want to help him although she is not sure why. There is far more to her family than she has any idea of and this is revealed slowly through the story.

I pretty much had a book crush on Fenn in the series but just could not find that Fenn in this book. I suspect it is because Fenn can not find himself either. There are small flashes of the mystique that made him special but not enough. I just never really connected with the story. I will read the next book for two reasons. One I do want to find out what happens, and I hope that perhaps The Fennrys Wolf of the other books will be back.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starling.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) I wished you liked it better than you did, though. :\

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) So did I. Maybe the next one will blow me away - I will read it and I often do not go on if I don't just love the first one.

message 3: by Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) (last edited Oct 07, 2012 07:38AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) Well...he'll definitely have his memory back so maybe your 'old Fennrys' will reappear. I was quite enamoured with Fenn regardless of his memory loss. ;)