Kate's Reviews > The Screwtape Letters

The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Screwtape Letters.

message 1: by Doug (new)

Doug I read this about ten years ago. I was studying religion at the time and the book made sense in the context of my studies. I also was working as a stationary engineer with a lot of machinery. The book was very interesting
C S wrote some other good books but I cannot think of their titles. I believe he was agnostic until a conversion, and then became a very good logical defender of religion...So did I get that right?
Doug

message 2: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate Hi Doug, Just noticed this and another review comment from you about meeting a female astronaut. What is a stationary engineer? I think that's the case with CS Lewis, but I'm not particularly well-versed in his religiosity. I still haven't read SL!

message 3: by Doug (new)

Doug Kate: you do read a lot. Engineers design, operate, or repair machines. Stationary Engineers maintain and operate Air conditioning machinary,
Boilers and other building equipment. Marine Engineers do the same except on ships. It has been sometime since I read any of CS Lewis's books. Here is what I vaguly remember, an officer on a ship can hear a bad bearing (is that the screw tape?) in the ships running gear because of his experience, no one else hears the bearing because they don't have the experience. I guess Lewis is comparing the engineers experience with the religious experience some people who are devout have, only they know God because they have the experience to know what God is saying. They work at their religion. The Astronaut was very personable and intelligent. There were eight of us at coffee, each asking questions. She heard all the questions then answered them without having them repeated. She was the daughter of phyics prof. and loved science fiction, thus she became a scientist astronaut. She carries a list of all the Sci Fi books shes read so she can share her interest with kids. Cool. How do you read so much?
Right now I read philosophy and such and write my thoughts as I read. I served as a City Councilman for my city and I have an interest on the nature of people and their relationship to governance. Boring for others, but fun for me. Right noew I am writing Haiku poetry, cause it's short and I like natural themes. I grew up in the Ozarks, and especially like the art of Thomas Hart Benton (the Mark Twain of the art world), a lot of his themes focus on the traditional people of the hills. Thanks for the notes

message 4: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate I wasn't sure who Thomas Hart Benton was so I googled him and immediately recognized his style and many works. I think I must have seen an exhibit of his work. Very cool stuff!

I really don't feel like I read that much. Sometimes I don't pick up a book for weeks, often because I am engrossed in knitting projects, but then I'll sudden switch gears and pick up 5 books in short order.

City Council sounds fun to me, too. And I love haiku, though I mostly use it to try to be funny.