Chris Bauer's Reviews > Devil Said Bang

Devil Said Bang by Richard Kadrey

Oct 05, 12

Read from September 28 to October 03, 2012

By way of full disclosure, Richard Kadrey is an "insta-buy" author for me. I can't get enough of the dirty, gritty descriptions, off-the-wall action scenes and (best of all) the dialogue and voice of every character absolutely KILLS every time.

The latest installment of the series has our anti-hero in Hell, a not unfamiliar situation for him. But Sandman Slim is calling the shots and has some big changes in mind. Kadrey continues to unveil his impressive backstory of existence and the attention to detail is amazing without resorting to spontaneous exposition, a talent I appreciate (and envy) greatly.

The pace is very quick and the story moves along at breakneck speed. But the reader is never left in the dust by the tempo.

I do have to caution that if you're a reader looking to get introduced to this amazing series, this is not the book to do it. You'll be real lost if you try to "just pick it up". Not much time is wasted explaining what happened in prior works.

I was a little concerned that Sandman Slim as the ruler of Hell would somehow constrain or dilute some of the tension and awe-inspiring kickassed-ness of the novel. I was way wrong.

The only negative observation is that the list of acquaintances and side characters is growing steadily and some are more interesting than others. I suspect there may be a thinning of the herd in the near future for some of them.

Do yourself a favor and pay a visit to Hell. You won't be disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Devil Said Bang.