MeiLin Miranda's Reviews > Cryptonomicon

Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson

Jun 13, 13

bookshelves: currently-reading
I own a copy

I don't know if I'm ever gonna finish this thing...

6/13/13: trying one last time before I give up forever. I loved The Diamond Age, but man, this is some tough sledding.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cryptonomicon.

06/13/2013 marked as: currently-reading

message 1: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim Zoetewey I did, and enjoyed it quite a bit. That said, the WW2 bits were in my opinion the most enjoyable parts of the book, and skipping back to the interesting (but not AS interesting) modern day portion of the story did not help.

message 2: by MeiLin (new) - added it

MeiLin Miranda At some point I'll go back to it, but I can't pretend I'm actively reading it any more... :)

Jenny (Reading Envy) I always love or hate Stephenson and haven't read this book yet because of that!

message 4: by MeiLin (new) - added it

MeiLin Miranda Jenny wrote: "I always love or hate Stephenson and haven't read this book yet because of that!"

Yeah, me too. "The Diamond Age" is one of my favorite books, even though the ending sucks--just sorta peters out, like he didn't know what he had in mind. Essentially, he didn't have an ending. With "Cryptonomicon," I'm not sure he has a beginning!

Kate Sherrod The Diamond Age and Cryptonomicon are my two favorite Stephensons. Crypto is worth getting through, even though again the ending kind of sucks, just because reading it feels like being handed all the mundane (i.e. non-conspiratorial) secrets of how our world really works.

Jenny (Reading Envy) My favorite was Snow Crash, I liked Diamond Age, Anathem was okay, Reamde was a waste of time, and I threw Quicksilver at the wall.