Emilia P's Reviews > Piece by Piece

Piece by Piece by Tori Amos

Jan 21, 09

bookshelves: real-books
Read in January, 2009

If Tori Amos lived in her own universe (which in some ways, she does) I would love love love this book and would think the way she sees the world works out really well. Invoking pantheons of various cultures and being strong and weird and all of that stuff is pretty cool in some ways, and it helped her songs make more sense, the way she sees her creative process. Or at least let me know that I was more or less getting them all these many many years.

But Tori Amos lives in the real world, like the rest of us. I started out this book on a high and ended it on sort of a low--talking about her creative process was good, I felt she was letting out a lot, but then when she got to her miscarriages, well that was interesting and sad. And then when she got to the way the tour bus works and the way she dealt with and was screwed by record company execs, well, Tori, your high and mighty dreamy quasi-theologies fall apart, because clearly, you live in the real world, and you are not quite as nice or gentle of a person there. Which is okay. But I thought she held a lot back about her real life, maybe because of the way she looks at her real life, and that was sad and frustrating.

And then she made a thinly veiled diss of Liz Phair and that made me really angry. People go on different journeys and have different values and self-concepts than you, T. Shame on you, buddy.
Still, I'm glad I read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Piece by Piece.

01/17/2009 page 16
4.35% "Hahaha. I am so set up to hate this book and think she is full of herself, but damned if she doesn't make all the sense in the world to me. " 1 comment