Bruce's Reviews > A Lion Among Men

Jan 08, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy, literary-fiction
Read in December, 2008

What a disappointment! Wicked was an act of amazing and original brilliance, taking a world that we are all familiar with, and turning it completely upside down. Brilliantly imagined and equally brilliantly realized, one of its strongest suits was the way in which Maguire took elements of the original books, (not just Wizard) and wove them together into a familiar and yet wholly new world.

Since then, his approach to the series feels labored and incomprehensible to me. Son of a Witch was weak, and left you waiting for resolution of a number of issues at the end of the book. With Lion Among Men, these issues all remain unresolved, and a convoluted, and confusing tale is told about the Lion. There are flashes of Maguires brilliance in the first few chapters, but then the story just gets too difficult to follow, and the characters never reach the power or internal complexity of Elphaba or Gallinda.

I am sorry to say this, but I thought this book was a waste. If you read Son of A Witch and thought it was terrific, then knock yourself out, you'll probably like this one as well. If you were left wondering what happened to Oz, then I'd probably pass on Lion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Lion Among Men.

Angela Jones I wish I could have stated my degree of disappointment as well. Book three was such a terrible disappointment. He set the bar so high with Wicked and he has not been able to hit that bar again.