HeavyReader's Reviews > Junie B. Jones Has a Peep in Her Pocket

Junie B. Jones Has a Peep in Her Pocket by Barbara Park

Jan 08, 09

bookshelves: kids-chapter-books
Read in January, 2009

I am not a fan of Junie B. Jones. This admission might make me unpopular with the very young reader set, but it's the truth. I am not a fan of Junie B. Jones.

This is the second Junie B. book that I have read, and I have the same problem with both of them. To me, Junie B. does not seem like a kid, not even a precocious kid with an impressive vocabulary. To me, Junie B. seems like a grown up pretending to be a precocious kid with a big vocabulary. She just seems to be too sophisticated. Maybe this is because her mature proclamations aren't made in a small, squeaky, cute kid voice. I don't know.

When I compare Junie B. to Ramona Quimby, Ramona seems real, while Junie B. seems like a hideous fake. Even reading as an adult, Ramona seems like a real kid to me, sometimes funny, sometimes bratty, sometimes confused by the adult world, but always authentic. Junie B. seems like a sad Ramona wannabe, an adult pretending to be a quirky little kid.

I have one more Junie B. book in my pile from the library. I will read it, but if my feelings about the character aren't transformed by that book, I won't be reading any more of Junie B.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Junie B. Jones Has a Peep in Her Pocket.

dateDown_arrow    newest »