Emily's Reviews > Independence Day: Bascombe Trilogy

Independence Day by Richard Ford

Jan 08, 09

bookshelves: favorites, books-i-read-more-than-once

I can't believe I forgot this book! Ug!

Before he went back to being a chemist (or something like that) the bookstore in my hometown was run by this skinny little guy, I don't remember his name, but he was great at picking out books for you to read. My mother, who adored him, always took his advice when getting books and he never disappointed. Independence Day was a Christmas present to me in High School and I was hooked from page one. In a recent application I filled out for graduate school, they asked what your favorite literary character was and I said, no hesitation, that Frank Bascombe could be the best character of all time. Ford's first book, The Sportswriter, is bland at best but Independence Day and the sequel, "The Lady of the Land" are great reads.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Independence Day.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Daniel Why do we differ so strongly on so many books!? Ford did nothing to inspire me - he's right up there with DeLillo in my book.

Emily You know, people can be different =)
I need to give Don DeLillo another chance. I liked White Noise but it wasn't fantastic. Perhaps I'll punish myself by reading his giant book "Underworld."

Daniel Punishment's good every once in a while. I'm reading Faulkner again - it makes you rethink what works (at times really well) and what doesn't (sometimes horrifically).