Alisa Russell's Reviews > Be My Enemy

Be My Enemy by Ian McDonald

F 50x66
Oct 10, 12

Read from September 27 to October 10, 2012

Be My Enemy is the second book in the Everness series, but stands very solidly as a story on its own. I was afraid I had missed vital information by starting with the second book (as I seem to be doing a lot lately), but the author does an excellent job of introducing the characters and saying what’s going on without leaving the reader to wonder what he’s missed.

What attracted me to this book, and what I knew would also attract my children who are its intended audience (at 13 and 15), were the richness of the book’s language, the male protagonist, and the mention of parallel universes. My older son especially is a big fan of science fiction and fantasy and having the male protagonist be close to his own age is an extra bonus. I also liked the glossary at the back of the book which defined the words of the Airish language.

My plan is to go back to the first book in the series, Planesrunner, as I know that will have rich back story that can only help with the understanding of the series, but I can also heartily recommend this book and plan to read the other books of the series going forward. Congratulations to Ian McDonald on a wonderful job!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Be My Enemy.