Schnaucl's Reviews > Shadows Return

Jan 12, 2009

bookshelves: fantasy, fiction, glbt, january, owned, read_2009, series
Recommended for: Fans of the Nightrunner series
Read in January, 2009 , read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** I was really happy to see that there would be more books in this series. Having said that, I did not think this book was particularly strong. It felt very much like the middle book of a trilogy whose main purpose was to set up the next book. I think the next book could be very interesting but I wish this book had been stronger for its own sake. Still, I'm excited there will be more to the series, hence the four star rating.

There were parts of the book I really liked. I particularly enjoyed the discussion/fight about Alec having a kid with a woman. Seregil was trying to do the right thing, in his way, but of course he was saying exactly the wrong thing and not understanding why. It felt real and the fun kind of angst that I expect from the Nightrunner series.

Unfortunately, I spent a lot of time dreading developments in this book, much like I did in Traitor's Moon. I was glad to see that Flewelling still avoided any kind of mpreg (male pregnancy)and I can live with how this "child" came to be. I suspect I'm okay with it because I don't think he'll last in his current form past perhaps the next book. I was pretty sure he'd die sacrificing himself for Alec by the end of this book, though, so I may be wrong about that.

I also spent a good portion of the book afraid that Seregil and Alec would end up in a threesome relationship with Khenir/Ilar. Both were attracted to him at various times and both had near slips. I felt sorry for Ilnar, but I have no desire to see him become a permanent part of their lives. I suspect we haven't seen the last of him, however.

I would have liked to see more of Alec and Seregil together. I'd like to see how their relationship has grown and changed since the last book but unfortunately they spent most of their time apart. I also missed the political intrigue and Cavishes, particularly Micum. I even missed Thero.

Still, it was fun to read, exactly the kind of popcorn I've come to expect and very much enjoy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadows Return.