Ian White's Reviews > Dario Argento

M 50x66
Sep 27, 2012

it was ok
Read from September 27 to October 02, 2012

Simplistic and badly written, as well as riddled with factual errors (author claims 'Gothika' is Mathieu Kassovitz's first film as director, rather than his fifth). The structure of addressing each film in sections such as 'style/technical' and 'themes' is far too schematic, and seemingly misses the point that the themes are intrinsically bound up in the style, particularly with a director as obsessed with looking and perception as Argento. Also, the author feels the need to be an apologist for some of Argento's poorer work, even the terrible 'Giallo', which has maybe one scene comparable to his older work. I am a huge fan of Argento, but I would stop short of accentuating the positives to such an excessive degree. To claim that 'The Card Player', 'Mother of Tears' or 'Giallo' show Argento moving with the times is ludicrously optimistic, when these films (some modest merits notwithstanding) show desperate bandwagon-jumping and/or a retreading of former glories rather than any kind of progression. On the other hand, it's easy to read and relatively interesting to an Argento novice, and I do agree that 'The Stendahl Syndrome' is Argento's last masterpiece.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dario Argento.