Rinn's Reviews > From Dunes to Dior

From Dunes to Dior by Mohanalakshmi Rajakumar

Oct 09, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction, biography, blog-tour, read-2012, ebook, reviewed
Read on September 28, 2012

I am an archaeology graduate. All I know of Qatar is that a lot of people I've met on excavations have worked out there - and that is the shameful extent of my knowledge. I felt that I really should know more about the country, since there seems to be a lot of archaeology going on there: hence my choice of reading From Dunes to Dior over Love Comes Later, plus the fact that I really enjoy memoirs.

Mohana sets up the perfect introduction for those who, like me, know absolutely nothing of Qatar - yet she avoids the easy mistake of giving us too much detailed information at once. An interesting mix of demographics, geography and history combined with a fluid writing style make for an easy-to-read background of the country, that doesn't read anything like a textbook despite all the facts and numbers. Whilst the topics covered are 'basic', this doesn't mean they are any less interesting - Mohana has a true talent for discussing everyday occurrences and creating a real story out of them.

It is fascinating just how multi-cultural Qatar actually is - Qataris are a minority in their own country - despite the strict citizenship laws (which are reminiscent of ancient Rome, pre-Caracalla). Mohana clearly points out and dismisses stereotypes, yet her essays show that racism is still quite evident, which is sad in this day and age.

A mix of serious and light-hearted essays balance the book out - I particularly enjoyed a humorous one on Dunkin' Doughnuts. Mohana is a strong woman, making a life for herself in a country that alienates her for many reasons; her book is an intriguing study of cultural stereotypes and the mixing of cultures, as well as a brilliant introduction to Qatar. I did notice a few spelling errors, but nothing too major.

If you are a fan of memoirs or love reading about other cultures I would highly recommend this book. It is presented as a series of essays, but don't let that put you off - they are well written, humorous (where appropriate) and simply fascinating.

Also posted on my blog, Rinn Reads.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From Dunes to Dior.