LJ's Reviews > High Noon

High Noon by Nora Roberts

Aug 08, 07

bookshelves: romantic_suspense, mystery, police_procedural, contemporary_post_1945, female_author
Read in July, 2007

HIGH NOON (Police Proc/Romance-Lt. Phoebe MacNamara-Savannah, GA-Cont) – VG
Roberts, Nora – Standalone
Putnam, 2007, US Hardcover – ISBN: 9780399154348
First Sentence: Jumping to your death was a crappy way to spend St. Patrick’s Day.
*** Lt. Phoebe MacNamara is single mother who lives with daughter, Carly, her mother, suffering from agoraphobia, and Ava, a family friend. As a hostage negotiator, she talks down a man threatening to commit suicide and meets the man’s attractive former employer. Phoebe is violently attacked within the station house, threatened by a fellow officer and is being stalked by someone who wants to destroy her.
*** One can trivialize the basic formula of a Nora Roberts book as much as one want, but that fact is they are well done, compelling stories and they work. Ms. Roberts knows how to create characters, good and bad, who are fully-developed, interesting and have strong back stories. The relationships she establishes between her characters, the dialogue and the sense of place all are true and effective. Even though you know, because it is romantic/suspense, after all, that her characters are going to be fine in the end, the suspense has you on the edge of the seat and turning the pages. I don’t think I’ve ever started one of her books without finishing it the same day, and “High Noon” was no exception. I am, as always, looking forward to her next book.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read High Noon.

Mary I always pay attention to your reviews and was pleased to see this comment (sadly after I'd read the book). You captured my thoughts precisely in regard to it, and NR's other books too. PS really enjoy your monthly book reviews as a go-to resource.

message 2: by LJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

LJ Thank you, Mary. I really does mean a lot to know that people read and enjoy my reviews. I do appreciate it more than you can know.