Julie's Reviews > The Dirty Streets of Heaven

The Dirty Streets of Heaven by Tad Williams

Sep 27, 2012

liked it
Read in September, 2012

I decided to read this because Patrick Rothfuss (*squee*) recommended it on his blog. Although I've been aware of Tad Williams for years, I never got around to reading any of them. Until now. Although I enjoyed this book it was like...to use a metaphor, it was like taking a walk with breathtaking views and scenery, but there's a rock in my shoe the whole way. Something was bothering me about the story, and I finally figured out what it was: This is urban fantasy, and for me, urban fantasy always means the unparalleled Jim Butcher and his Harry Dresden series (which is up to what? 14 books, now? One more coming out next month Oct. 12).

I love Harry Dresden, and I wanted Bobby Dollar to BE Harry Dresden. But there's only one Harry Dresden.

However, if I look at this without the prism of Harry Dresden, it was still a damn fine book, although I thought the worldbuilding (heavenbuilding?) had some...continuity problems. Things that it seemed logical for Bobby to do, he couldn't do, and the reverse. It felt a little...awkward. Also, what's with the not remembering who/what or if they were on Earth? That closes a lot of doors IMHO, and heaven? Sounded like CPA heaven--boring.

Also? Saw the backstabbing and the stabber coming from the get go, and Clarence? Obvious as a nuclear cloud. Waaay too obvious. Ditch Clarence in the future.

I'm hoping the next Bobby Dollar novel will be better because, yes, I am interested enough to go on to book II, whenever it comes out, with hopes that some things have been ironed out and Tad finds Bobby's "voice."

I'd like to see a book from the POV of the Countess of Cold Hands. Now "that" would rock.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dirty Streets of Heaven.

Rebekah Wow, I was about to write a review and then I read yours; these are my thoughts EXACTLY, down to the very reason why I read the book in the first place (I had never read any Tad Williams either). Hah!