Cara's Reviews > Pride and Prejudice

Mar 01, 14

bookshelves: classics, books-made-into-movies, to-re-read
Recommended to Cara by: Ginny
Read in February, 2009, read count: 1

I finally finished! It took me awhile but it was worth it. I think what made it kind of hard for me to get into it was because I had watched the movies beforehand (which actually helped me to follow the timeline of the book better.)

This book doesn't really need a review, I mean it's a classic! There isn't a better recommendation than standing the test of time.

What a wonderful romance and I'm glad I read the book because we do miss out on some of the details that are not put into the movies.

While on the topics of the movies I'd like to say that even though the newer version of Pride and Prejudice the movie isn't as close to the book as the older version, I enjoyed the newer one more. It caught more the romantic aspect of the book, but the older one with Colin Firth is closer to the real book, but I just didn't like his portrayal of Mr. Darcy.

So if you have an inclination to read a classic this should be your first choice.

01/24/2009 page 1
02/04/2009 page 60
21.51% "slow going but it's not because i'm not into it, i just don't seem to have enough time."
show 4 hidden updates…

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 6: by Wesley (new) - added it

Wesley Wonderful review, I've had this on my list but really need to get to it. This may just push it up a few dozen ;).

Cara Thanks Wesley, and yes you should. I'd really like to see your thoughts on this one.

message 4: by Shoot (new) - added it

Shoot Ajanant Thxs for your positive review. It makes me want to finish this book as soon as possible :-)!

Cara You are welcome:) Hope you enjoy!

message 2: by Nick (new) - added it

Nick Cara, You might prefer the Fitzwilliam Darcy played by David Rintoul in the BBC Pride and Prejudice (1980 TV series) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pride_an... or even the one played by Lawrence Olivier in the 1940 Movie version http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pride_an.... Both are available on DVD or online and I think they both show a better understanding of Darcy as a socially awkward shy man hiding behind formality and overblown airs of rank, just as he explains at Lady Catherine’s' dinner evening. However I still have trouble reconciling the first encounter Darcy and the first proposal Darcy with the letter to Elizabeth Darcy and the Pemberly Darcy. I can't help suspecting that the rewrite from “First Impressions” may have been rushed and that some elements of tone may have escaped Miss Austen’s usually extremely precise ear and eye. Then again maybe my cultural understanding is lacking some element which would be understood by a contemporary.

Cara Thanks for the recommendations Nick! I am always up for watching Austen inspired pieces. I hadn't really thought about it before but I think you're right. Darcy does seem to have (dare I write) too many shades to his personality and character. But people are complex but I did feel while I was reading a shift in his character. Anyways thanks again:)