Antof9's Reviews > Summer Sisters

Summer Sisters by Judy Blume

Jan 07, 09

bookshelves: 2004-read, americana, depressing, made-me-cry, unfulfilling
Read in October, 2004

Read this on the plane from Denver to Seattle. It was a little odd, in that I haven't ever read any of her stuff for grownups. I was a HUGE fan of Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret -- so much that I recently bought another copy :) Anyway, this book was ok. Not exactly a romance novel, but definitely fits into that category, I think.

The "summer sisters" are Vix and Caitlin, who are best friends and "sisters" every summer on The Vineyard, but not during the school year. Caitlin's family has the money, and Vix's family does not. Their friendship starts around age 12/13, and the book ends some 15-18 years later.

The parents of both girls have all kinds of problems -- Caitlin's mom (Phoebe) is a gorgeous rich woman, jet-setting around the world and sleeping with young men. Vix's dad is emasculated when he loses his job, an ineffective father who loves his daughter, but is unable to ever express his feelings. There are other problems, but I'll let the reader find them when reading!

Some of the things I enjoyed were the way Vix and Caitlin saw the world in the beginning. The way they talked about boys, calling a gorgeous boy "The National Treasure", is exactly the way my friends and I talked when we were that age. I found these parts totally enjoyable.

Vix's home life was heartbreaking. She is taught to stuff her feelings and when they come out, they can't stop. Her eyes leak from New Mexico all the way to New York.

There were so many parts of this book that I enjoyed, but there were also a lot of parts that made me really sad. It's one of those books where "the human condition" is portrayed in a pretty hopeless manner, and isn't exactly uplifting. At the end of the book do you feel better, or worse for having read it? hmmmmmm. . . not better.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summer Sisters.

Jackie and I don't know about anyone else but I just wanted to slap Caitlin more and more as this book went on.

Antof9 Jackie wrote: "and I don't know about anyone else but I just wanted to slap Caitlin more and more as this book went on."

Not just you, Jackie!