Andrea's Reviews > So Sexy So Soon: The New Sexualized Childhood, and What Parents Can Do to Protect Their Kids

So Sexy So Soon by Diane E. Levin

Feb 01, 09

bookshelves: z2009_read_list, nonfiction, psychology
Read in January, 2009

** spoiler alert ** This is a pretty new book and I was surprised I got ahold of it so fast through the library. The end of the full title is "...and what parents can do about it" so this was a little "preachy" in some sections, but overall - I was really impressed by this book. This is a topic sort of near and dear to my heart - our screwed up culture and the fact the idealized female form is that of a prepubscent girl at the same time we have actually prepubsent girls wandering around in belly shirts and platform heels. I just feel for any child being forced to deal with sexual attention before they're really ready and since I was a very early bloomer - I really really feel for them. It's franky scary to get hit on before you are actually old enough to really understand what it's all about. The real gems in this book are the stories from actual children - from teens talking frankly about what's going on with their friends to very young children trying to work out things they've seen or heard and some great examples of appropriote adult response to those situations.

For me, the biggest take-home was how differently we all think about sex and sexuality as we age. As adults, it can be very hard to remember how we thought about those things when we were younger but it's vital to remember that children are very often not using words and ideas the same way an adult would. Overall, loved this book and think it has an extremely vital message and set of strategies for how to help children understand our oversexualized culture and to support them as they form their own sexual identity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read So Sexy So Soon.