Andrea's Reviews > Flight

Flight by Alyssa Rose Ivy

Feb 22, 13

bookshelves: paranormal-romance, read-in-2013
Read from February 11 to 12, 2013

Fun, exhilerating, and unique, Flight is a great start to the paranormal series, The Crescent Chronicles.

I know that I say this a lot, but paranormal books are tricky for me. I often feel as if I'm reading the same story, over and over again. That is so not the case with Flight. I loved the New Orleans setting of the story. I've read a few stories that almost seemed to use the famous city as a gimmick, but not here. This is a city that the author is very familiar with and she uses it to her advantage. As Allie became familiar with the city, I was able to visualize Canal Street, Bourbon Street, Cafe du Monde, and many other notable areas of New Orleans. It felt nice to "revisit" the Crescent City.

As for the supernatural elements to Flight, I'm not going to reveal that here. I went into the story completely blind, and I loved discovering the hidden world right along with Alli. What Ivy came up with was so cool, so unique, and pretty darn wicked. Allie finds out what creatures are hidden are hidden with the city fairly quickly, and I loved that she didn't lead us along the whole book, dangling bits and pieces and building frustration. It was nice to know the basics of what was going on, and then to be able to get down to business.

Allie was a great heroine. She's so smart, but not arrogant. She handles the supernatural secrets like a champ, maybe a little too well, but I didn't really care. She's fairly pragmatic, not prone to hysterics and denials in the face of the obvious. Levi, the guy who introduces her to the magic, is hot, charming and a little infuriating. I love that he doesn't hide who he is from Alli, but oh boy, he is tricky! Through lies of omission, Levi brings Allie in way too deep, and it costs her a lot. I wanted to dislike him, but I just couldn't do it. *shrugs* Allie's reactions to Levi's deceit was spot-on. She is not going to let him off easy.

The story also includes a fantastic cast of secondary characters. Hailey, Owen, and Jared are all big players in the story, and I loved them each time they appeared, which was often. Jared was my favorite, most likely because he's a smarta$$.

Flight was a fun and interesting story all the way through. It was such a quick read, and I mananged to fly (pun totally intended) through in just a couple hours. I immediately began book two, Focus.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flight.

02/12/2013