J.D. Stroube's Reviews > The Return: Nightfall

The Return by L.J. Smith

Apr 13, 09

bookshelves: young-adult, vampire-immortals-succubus, waiting-for-sequel, boring, attempted, series
Recommended for: NO ONE!!!!
Read in April, 2009, read count: .5

I could not make it past page 193 of this book. It was a complete disappointment for me. I waited thirteen years for L.J. Smith to come out with a new book, and was beyond excited to pick Nightfall up! I quickly realized my mistake. The writing is poor, she does not stay true to the characters, and she is consistently corny throughout the book.

I realize that this is her first published book since coming back to the writing world, but I pray that her next attempt lives up to her previous standards. I still love her previous books, but would not recommend this book to a true L.J. Smith fan. It will leave you wondering why you liked L.J. Smith in the first place, and will destroy your hope in her future books. If you are one of those people who ignores this warning please do not BUY this book, go to a library.

On a happier note...
Vampire Diaries is going to air on the CW! I am exited about this, because the first four books were much better. Evidently, the cast has been chosen and is set to pilot fall of 2009!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Return.

03/04/2009 page 2
03/04/2009 page 2
0.34% "Cant say much yet. Hopefull though..."
03/07/2009 page 53
9.04% "So far...I am not liking it as much as the old series. Im not crazy about how she portrays Damon in this book, so far..."
03/11/2009 page 193
32.94% "Its a little cheesy with some good ideas. So far it is only okay. I like the 1st series better!"
03/15/2009 page 193
32.94% "So I am thinking I might give up on this book. I am too irritated to continue...:( I am sooo disappointed!!!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Is this book any good? I own it, but I am still keeping up with Stephenie Meyer & because of her I have fallen in love with Vampires. So I was just wondering if it was good.

message 2: by J.D. (new) - rated it 1 star

J.D. Stroube :) I do not think that anyone is as good as Stephenie Meyer! How far are you in the series? The last book is the best! :)

LOL I loved this book when I was younger, but the last time I read it I was around 14 years old.

I actually plan on re-reading this series in the next couple of weeks, because the author is coming out with a new book pertaining to the characters in this book. I can let you know then what I think of it as an adult. :)

You might like Marked by P.C. Cast, or Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead. They are not as innocent.

message 3: by Lisa Anne (new)

Lisa Anne I think this book deserves to be deleted off your goodreads... at least from what you told me about it. haha! ... but seriously.

message 4: by J.D. (new) - rated it 1 star

J.D. Stroube Yeah. I am keeping it on there b/c it was an attempted read. Maybe I will make a shelf for books I could not force myself to finish! LOL