Shana's Reviews > Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Sep 26, 2012

Read in April, 2011

I cannot emphasize enough how much I enjoyed this book and how unexpected that was for me. The only reason I picked it up in the first place is because it was receiving good reviews and I felt some sort of obligation to at least give it a try. This is the story of Louis Zamperini, an Olympic athlete and Army Air Force bombardier, who clearly lived a movie-worthy life. This, in combination with Hillenbrand’s brilliant narrative style, made for one heck of a book.

If you’re into books about adventure, trials, and triumph, I highly recommend you read this book. I guarantee that you will not be bored by Zamperini’s stories of athletic glory, ocean survival, and POW hardships. I’m now very tempted to read Hillenbrand’s other bestselling book, Seabiscuit.

Also, I didn’t realize this till after I finished the book, but Hillenbrand lives with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I found this quote in an article about her in the Washington Post (on the irony of her works being about physically extraordinary people/animals:

"I’m looking for a way out of here. I can’t have it physically, so I’m going to have it intellectually. It was a beautiful thing to ride Seabiscuit in my imagination. And it’s just fantastic to be there alongside Louie as he’s breaking the NCAA mile record. People at these vigorous moments in their lives - it’s my way of living vicariously."

Wow. Just… wow. She may not have physical strength, but she certainly embodies a strength of character that allows her to write so beautifully and compellingly about others.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unbroken.