Christina's Reviews > Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World: Finding Intimacy with God in the Busyness of Life

Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World by Joanna Weaver

Jun 20, 10

bookshelves: 2010
Read in June, 2010

I really tried to take my time reading this book because I wanted to reflect on the author's observations. Two things I really liked about this book:

1) The author's transparency, in giving examples from her life experiences and also in how hard it was for her personally to write this book. She really struggled with it and you really understand her sense of wanting to be changed by what she is learning and sharing in this book. I too, feel I have so much further to go in my journey and struggle with the fear I will wake up 30 years from now and still be the same.

2) The emphasis on balance. So many times, the application of this family's story is: be more like Mary, less like Martha. But Joanna's emphasis was on balance- how to worship well and serve well, how to not feel guilty when you are spending too much time on one extreme, how to shift back and forth well, and finally, how to let the Lord merge the two areas together into an undivided heart of worship and service. Just as Mary and Martha each grew and transformed as Christ changed their hearts, there is also great hope we can do the same.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Carolyn I also have this book if you want to borrow it.

Elaine I have long believed that our view of Martha is far too harsh. She obviously was quite a woman. And she was real. I am looking forward to reading a blending of these two sister's selves...we all need to see them laid out in front of us! :)