Jae's Reviews > Reborn: Journals and Notebooks, 1947-1963

Reborn by Susan Sontag

Jan 19, 09

Read in January, 2009

I wanted to enjoy these notebooks. The teasers I read in the NYT Magazine years ago were still my favorite parts. But it was worth reading...I guess in some ways it was a little hard to suddenly realize this person I had idolized was just a silly person such as myself. But we're all silly people and we're all wonderful and worth idolizing in some ways. I had to keep reminding myself how young she is in this collection...but I was continually frustrated by her lack of self-knowledge in her 20s. I'd think "she's so brilliant! how can she be wrapped up in this nonsense!", and then I'd recall that she was only 24 or 27, etc. and how those years are full of such odd leaps and bounds but still riddled with set-backs. I think in some ways I saw too many similarities with my own feelings of developing self-hood and felt sad for her.
I still can't wait to read the next installment. I hope that it's a little less about her feelings and more about her thoughts. My friend A. told me that she wished the book had more of the lists of the books sontag read and the films she watched and after finishing I agree. But I think partially it's me not wanting to accept her as a human for some reason. After all, for so many years, she seemed like a distant detached god.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reborn.

01/07/2009 page 215