LJ's Reviews > Oxygen

Read in December, 2008

OXYGEN (Novel/Med. Mys- Dr. Marie Heaton-Seattle-Cont) – Good
Cassella, Carol – 1st book
Simon & Schuster, 2008, US Hardcover – ISBN: 1416556109

First Sentence: People feel so strong, so durable.

Dr. Marie Heaton is a skilled anesthesiologist. Her life is off track and her career at risk when a child dies during surgery and Marie is being sued for malpractice. Although she tries to keep working, she must work to find out exactly what happened during the operation in order to retain her career, finances and, possibly, even freedom.

It is also a time for her to deal with personal and family relationships with a fellow doctor, her sister’s family and her father.

Carol Cassella’s background as an anesthesiologist is very much in evidence. I found the information fascinating and it did add tension to the operation and hospital scenes.

While I never considered putting the book down, I kept wondering when something would start happening. The book is labeled as “a novel’ rather than a mystery. Much of the story is taken up with Marie’s personal life. It wasn’t bad but neither was it that interesting.

The investigation of what happened during the surgery was handled as a secondary story line instead, which, for me, was the more interesting thread. However, I also foresaw one of major elements in the plot very early on and found the ending abrupt. The book was a good read but a rather forgettable one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oxygen.