Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)'s Reviews > Blaze of Memory

Blaze of Memory by Nalini Singh

Blaze of Memory was one of those books that exceeded my expectations significantly, although I know by now what a great author Nalini Singh is. I thought that Dev wouldn't be a very interesting hero (don't ask me why)--but I ended up loving him! He is my kind of hero: ruthless, dangerous, intensely masculine, possessive, powerful...I'll stop now. And, even better, he was capable of tenderness with wounded and fragile Katya. I liked how Nalini Singh showed the dilemma that Dev faced. He has taken on the tough role as the leader of the Shine Foundation, which was established to help the Forgotten, descendents of Psy who dropped out of the PsyNet to live their lives, embracing emotion. And things are not great for the Forgotten right now. The Psy Council has resorted to ruthless tactics to eliminate all the Forgotten. And the younger generation is showing new abilities that have the potential to be very dangerous, even if controlled. Dev carries a tremendous weight on his shoulders, and he does it well. He's a true alpha, in that he takes care of others, yet will fight for those in his care, and resort to being ruthless if necessary.

I was so glad that he found Katya. There was an instant bond between them. Dev had become more and more remote and icy in his dealings with people, as a way to keep control. His past had a horrible event that made him feel like control was absolutely necessary. But, even when he was ruthless, it was more than clear what a good man he was. No question about that. I thought his ability to manipulate metal and use that to control his emotions was very cool. Katya somehow negated this effect, making him into a passionate man and being his weakness in that sense (not really, though). I was really surprised at how possessive Dev was. That seemed more like a Changeling trait. But, I suppose that any man could feel that way about someone with whom he has a powerful connection; and it quickly became clear how connected Dev felt with Katya.

I loved Katya, too. She was emotionally and mentally broken, but somehow she was able to find the strength inside of herself to pick up the broken pieces left after being tortured by cardinal Psy Councilman Ming Le Bon, and made into a possible lethal time bomb weapon against the Forgotten. Poor Katya. How she suffered. She was soft and sweet, but strong at the same time. Her gentleness was the foil for Dev's strength. Yet, he didn't swallow her up or consume her identity.

I just love when a couple turns out to be perfect for each other in a romance. I definitely felt that way about Katya and Dev. They had a lot of chemistry, but there was a strong emotional bond there. To be honest, I wish the love scenes were longer, and in depth, but they were pretty hot the way they were. I loved all the touching and connection they had--Katya needed the stability of touch after her horrible torture, and Dev felt this need to be close to her, and give her with she needed in all ways. It gave me the warm and fuzzies.

This book has a lot of science fiction elements that I loved. I never thought I'd be so into psychic talents in paranormal romance. But I've found I love it, especially after reading this series and the Ghostwalker books by Christine Feehan. And Ms. Singh doesn't let those who like the Psy part of the equation down at all. It's funny. Despite being the shapeshifter lover that I am, I find that Psy-centered books in this series come out on top. I guess I like seeing the powerful abilities, and how the intrinsic human nature that the Psy try to suppress always wins out over intellect and logic. That's real life to me. It gives this very futuristic, cerebral concept a grounding in everyday reality of human existence that appeals to me.

At first, I wasn't too fond of the letter parts and the reports from the Sunshine Facility, but I see why Ms. Singh incorporated those. It really does tie into the story very well.

Can I say that the climax nearly broke my heart? I didn't think I could handle it. Oh, Dev's pain just about killed me, and seeing the suffering that Katya went through! But, Ms. Singh really pulled it off. The part with the kids, oh, I thought I was going to cry tears of joy. That was just perfect. And, you get to see a lot of the other beloved characters return and take part in this story. Judd, Sigh! Dorian, Big, Huge, Sigh! The list goes on.

I am so in love with this series. It really stands out amongst the various paranormal series. I think Ms. Singh has come up with such a brilliant concept here, and she executes it fabulously. I will definitely read every book she writes. And, I am so glad that she managed to give me such an unsuspectingly fantastic and delicious new hero to love in Dev Santos. I can't wait to see what surprises she comes up with for me next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blaze of Memory.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ren (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ren You'll like it Danielle ^^
The few chapters (near the end) of this book, almost make me crying...
>.<,

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Oh, I did love it. It made me tear up, too.

message 3: by Ren (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ren Tell you, Danielle. I'm never cry over he book after for last i cry when Bones and Cat break up, hehe^^ (but they reunited againand i clapped my hands ^^)

new_user Me too, guys! I was so choked up! Singh is so awesome.

valee This one was the only book by NS that made me cry. Loved this one!

valee oh, hi n-s, it took me some time to realize that was you, lol, it was because you have changed your avatar.

new_user Vale wrote: "This one was the only book by NS that made me cry. Loved this one!"

Same here! And you should know me by my weird username (or non-username) by now, LOL.

valee I do,lol, but I identify the ones I talk the most by their pics, I'm just used to search the pics first.

message 9: by Ren (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ren What happen to Katya is bad enough :(. I'm glad she has Dev in her side ^^.
Oh yeah new_user, you change ur avatar ^^
Mayb you must do that too Vale(but i think ur avatar) is good, you pretty ^^

valee hhahahaha, thanks. Last time I changed it many told me I shouldn't because it was hard for them to recognize me, that they were already used to my old avatar. So I don't change it often.

I can't wait for the next book in this series. NS is too good in this! I love her .

message 11: by Zeek (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zeek I enjoyed this one much more than the couple books leading up to it! good review. ;)

MelissaB Great review Danielle! I cried like a baby at the end of this one.

I just love Nalini Singh, all of the books in this series are great. I am really excited because I am finally going to read the second Guild Hunters book this weekend, I was saving it until I had extra time to reread the first book. Have you read these books yet? I am sure you will love Raphael.

new_user Vale wrote: "I do,lol, but I identify the ones I talk the most by their pics, I'm just used to search the pics first."

LOL. Yeah, me too.

message 14: by Ren (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ren Well, Melissa B
I cry too, hiks :(
The last part is really2 touched me. Hope Nalini will do that in the next books :)
And..
Who will not love or resist Raphael? ^^

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Thanks Melissa and Zeek. I haven't started the Guild Hunters books yet. I don't like to run through all the books by my favorite author at the same time. That's why I'm always behind of the series from every author, practically. I confess, I did cry at the end. I'm looking forward to meeting Raphael. :)

new_user He's our kind of guy, Danielle. Dangerous. ;)

new_user Great review. I totally agree.

valee Danielle, you'll love Raphael. Let me know once you get to him.

message 19: by Fani (new) - rated it 2 stars

Fani Great review Danielle! I'm the odd one out, who didn't like this one, but I can see what people like about it. It was a very well written and more emotional than her usual style.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) NU, Yup. Love them dangerous. But I also love how caring he was to Katya, despite his dangerousness.

Thanks, Fani. I'll check out your review to see what your thoughts were on it.

new_user Yeah, he was, wasn't he? He was so attentive. *sniff*

message 23: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 Great review, Danielle!!! I have to get caught up with this series again. Are you planning on reading Nalini Singh's "Archangel" series some time? I L-O-V-E those books.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Thanks, Ally. I will start that series, probably this summer.

message 25: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 It will be fun to talk about them when you get a chance to read them. I have a feeling you will really, really, really like those books. The only problem is we have to wait so long for the next one to come out!

message 26: by Ren (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ren Why wait so long Danielle? ^^
I know with many great books it will be hard to read them all if we just a litlle time.
Agree with Ally, Archangel's Consort is 9 months again >.<,

message 27: by Dina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dina Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Thanks, Ally. I will start that series, probably this summer."

Danielle, knowing how much you love angels, I'm surprised to hear you've waited this long to read the Guild Hunter series. Those books are soooo good! :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I stagger my reads by the same author (except I can't seem to do that with Christine Feehan--but she has so many that I won't run out any time soon). Plus, I like to read around. I rarely read right through a series.

SheLove2Read I just finished this one Danielle, and I'm still crying. Nalini Singh is a freakin' genius. I'm completely blown away.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Great review D. I was like you, thinking Dev wouldn't be that great of a hero, but this book ended up being one of my faves!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Thanks, Annie. I'm glad Dev won you over!

message 33: by SimBim (new)

SimBim Judd and Dorian are two of my favourites!

Lisa Kay Loved your review, Lady D! As usual. I clicked "like" yesterday on yours and several others, but they all disappeared. Interesting.