Melindeeloo's Reviews > Hearts of Darkness

Hearts of Darkness by Kira Brady

Sep 27, 12

bookshelves: paranormal-romance-shapeshifters, urban-fantasy-romance, mythological-tie-in
Read from September 26 to 27, 2012

3 stars = I liked it with some reservations.
Overall I liked Hearts of Darkness, but since I am exceedingly character-centric in my reading, that was more in spite of the characters than due to them since most of the supporting characters in Hearts of Darkness are 'gray hats' at best - though it looks like a few good women, some living and some dead, are able to at least touch the heart of these bad (and badder- well actually pretty evil) guys, if not exactly redeem them. And the romance between very very good leading lady Kayla and her lying, thieving, killer of a bad boy with a heart of a protector Hart was fine, if a bit predictable. But where Hearts of Darkness managed to shine is that the back story set in a world woven from Native American, and Norse myth – and populated by shape shifting wolves, birds and dragons – actually builds to an amazing action-packed apocalyptic climax.

So while I am not exactly sure what direction this series is headed at this point after the ending which reshapes the world – which is pretty much the same feeling that I had from reading the prequel Hearts of Fire – the teaser for the next book left me curious enough about the next book and the next not-too-good-not-too-bad pairing that I will likely check out the next book too. (As a warning, the story contain attempted rape, and reference to off-screen rape.)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hearts of Darkness.

09/26/2012
8.0% "I wasn't impressed by the prequel, but I saw that one of my favorite authors gave this five stars so I tried the sample - and I was hooked..."