Douglas Meeks's Reviews > Bitter Night

Bitter Night by Diana Pharaoh Francis

Sep 26, 12

I received the first 3 books in this series as a gift to see if I wanted to review them and since I had not heard of them I was in the "sure whatever" mode. I can't put my finger on it but I was hooked on the story within the first few chapters and did a marathon reading session for the next few days and read the whole series. The first thing that should be noted here for the first book is that it is almost totally action driven with enough character involvement to make you angry beyond words for the main character (our heroine Max) and frustrated )if you are like me) that revenge and justice cannot be applied swiftly. To say she has been betrayed by someone she thought was her best friend would be a huge understatement, her whole life was stolen. As the story progresses you see that things happen for a reason but you never lose that thirst for revenge even though Max seems to let it go from time to time to enable her to perform the tasks she must be able to do. Max is now a Shadowblade which gives her unique abilities of speed, strength, and healing with a couple of unique talents along the way.

On a scale of 1-10 the romance in this book is somewhere around 2, it picks up a bit in later books but for Bitter Nights it is not the main thrust of the book. You get to know the characters and the background which is far from dull I can assure you. This series is highly recommended and if there is any complaints from me it would be that they don't make it easy to find the reading order so here it is:

Bitter Night: A Horngate Witches Book
Crimson Wind (Horngate Witches Books)
Shadow City (Horngate Witches)
Blood Winter (Horngate Witches) Dec 2012 release date

wonder why it would have been so hard to put Book # 1, 2 , etc ??

This was 5 star reading for me and if you enjoy Jane Yellowrock by Faith Hunter you will love Max.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bitter Night.