Marisabel Bonet-Cruz's Reviews > The Dovekeepers

The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman

Sep 26, 12

Read in August, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Historical drama is one of my favourite type of books to read. This one spoke to me from the hollow eyes of the girl in the picture as I browsed book stores in New Zealand. I deeply enjoyed reading it, turning each page eagerly as the story unfolded.

This book is hard to stomach, but the story within it is one that needed to be told. Not many know about the horrors some people lived back in those days, back when the Romans first began to conquer Israel, or about the terrible loss felt in Israel due to persecution and colonization. This book allows people to understand the backdrop into which the story of Jesus belongs. Additionally, the story of the courage and of the dreaming of the women of the time is one not many even dare to consider. I am glad it was told in this book.

The book intrigues you and draws you in. You discover and gather the puzzles together as each woman tells her story. You also learn a lot about Jewish tradition and history. The way the book is written is lovely. The sentences are long and elaborate, almost poetic. The drama is poignant and visual. The details enrich the plot.

My only criticism is that all of the women in the book sound the same. The way their sentences are written is identical, so it feels like only 1 voice. Maybe the author meant it that way. Maybe not. The end result was not appealing to me. I wish each woman had owned a different voice, so that we could have enjoyed different styles of writing and story telling. I find it fake that all of them sound the same, no matter how poetically beautiful the book is written.

2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dovekeepers.