megan's Reviews > The Bungalow

20589
Sep 26, 12

bookshelves: historical_fiction, fun-dont-judge-me
Read in September, 2012

More like 2.5 stars--but I'm not in the rounding up kind of way with this one. I finished this book and read a majority of it on a plane ride from Denver to Detroit. That flight is only two hours long. So--you know--it was engaging for the duration of the flight. For that, I am thankful and I appreciate the book's ability to keep my attention without having to make me think too hard when I panic during turbulence (true)--but it was just a little too "too stupid to live" for me. I mean, the heroine was.

The story takes place in the South Pacific (Bora Bora) where Anne Calloway goes with her best friend Kitty to be a nurse attending to the military men fighting on the Eastern Front of World War II. She has a wealthy fiance back in Seattle who is a completely decent man--he is not a villain. But this does not stop Anne from developing feelings for another soldier while on the island, Westry. Other issues of friendship and betrayal, pregnancies, murder, art mysteries, imperialism, and just idiotic misunderstandings made this a hot mess of a fun book to read. I mean, what it really boils down to is that the book starts in present day and now we have a bunch of ninety-year-old greatest generation folds who are still kind of "too stupid to live" but they try and reconcile the misunderstandings from seventy years ago. I, for one, am kind of amazed they are all still conveniently alive to hash it out!

This review is confused--but so am I. The book left me kind of "meh"...but I am still grateful for its ability to cause me to escape for my confined two hours whooshing through the air in an aluminum cylinder. Had I picked up this book with the competing priorities of home/school/work in the background, I may not have made it past the first quarter.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bungalow.