Craig Pay's Reviews > Party Like It's 1984: Short Stories From the People's Republic of

Party Like It's 1984 by HALiterature

12042108
Nov 24, 12

it was ok
Read from November 09 to 24, 2012

Way too many basic spelling and punctuation mistakes. One of the stories, hOur Room [sic], has several such gaffs per page. Weird line returns all over the place (page count padding?). None of this is the fault of the writers--some of whom probably aren't writing in their first language. Leads me to suspect the editor has just copy/pasted without actually editing anything at all.

There's some saving grace in the stories which are often quirky and interesting, especially The Devoured Man and I Am Barbie. Chicken Bone Horizon is also good, though it reminded me of the closing pages from Beijing Coma. One of the stories, The Road to Kekexili, turns out to be the first chapter from an up and coming travelogue. It's actually pretty good, but I'd question its inclusion in a short story collection (an advert for the full length work?). The other stories are a mixed bunch, often trying just a little too hard to tick the lit-fic box.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Party Like It's 1984.

Greg I'm sorry I didn't see this review till now. I'm Greg Baines, who wrote "Chicken Bones". It's interesting that this story reminded you of a section from "Beijing Coma". I have yet to read it, and find it interesting to be compared to it.

message 2: by Craig (last edited Jul 20, 2013 12:04AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Craig Pay Well I really enjoyed Beijing Coma as well as your story. Your closing scene is similar, though I suspect it's just a common enough scene that's occuring all across China right now, what with all the urban regeneration going on.