Rhonda's Reviews > The New Moosewood Cookbook

The New Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen

Jan 07, 09

bookshelves: food-and-cooking
Read in September, 2000

I have an original edition of this book and have used it prodigiously for learning how to cook. When I first looked at the book, not knowing it was a vegetarian cookbook, I said to my friend that I would buy it if it included a better recipe for split pea soup than the one I already learned to make in college.

I can still recall my humiliation when, on page 18, Molly proceeded to start on the soup where my own immature recipe left off. I recall that over the years I have added a ham hock and some more dry mustard and thyme to it, but otherwise it is a staple in winter for me.

I noticed that in later editions some of the recipes I loved, including, I think, Solyanka, were deleted from the new edition. I think recipes were modified to make things a bit healthier. Well I still like the old one, but it's good to know that this book still gets the respect it deserves, not only for being a seminal work but also for having such delicious recipes. If anyone wants the old recipes, please let me know.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The New Moosewood Cookbook.