Jennifer's Reviews > Fool's Fate

Fool's Fate by Robin Hobb

Jan 24, 09

bookshelves: pure-fantasy, all-time-favorites, 2009-favorites
Read in January, 2009

Oh wow. I just finished this and I have to say, when taken altogether (Farseer Trilogy + Tawny Man series), this series is just masterful. It is one of the most complete stories I've read in a long time. I feel supremely satisfied by the ending... which is... happy.

Normally I don't go for happy endings, because they don't always seem deserved, or realistic. In this case, Hobb has truly demonstrated that only when we have known the deepest depths of despair and tragedy can we also know the greatest joys. The denouement of this epic series (I read the 6 books sequentially, so if you clock each book at 700-900 pages, that makes it something like 5000 pages - I would call that epic!) is incredibly well deserved, and was pure pleasure to read.

As we painfully witnessed throughout all these long books every possible terrible, bad choice made in Fitz's life, so it was wonderful to realize that Hobb had a purpose in mind. Fitz was remaking the world. Without that particular journey, the world would not have been remade in quite the way it was. Everything that came to Fitz along the way and in the end was exactly what he wrought for himself through his own choices. And the way we come to understand this, through the bittersweet and amazing relationship Fitz has with the Fool, and how that ends, is so well-written.

Kudos to Hobb for this series. I had my doubts while reading it but now I can say it is among my favorites. It was painful, beautiful, and satisfying. The story arc and, as many others have noted, the characters are masterfully constructed. I read this last book (914 pages) in 4 sittings over 3 days... if that tells you anything about how captivating it was!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fool's Fate.

01/22/2009 page 261
28.56% "This came in the mail yesterday and I dropped everything to stay up late reading it. I guess I am more committed to Fitz and the Fool than I"
show 1 hidden update…