Ryan's Reviews > The Talented Clementine

The Talented Clementine by Sara Pennypacker

Sep 25, 12

bookshelves: children
Read in September, 2012

** spoiler alert ** A charming, funny, light-hearted story about a 3rd grader named Clementine who doesn't "have a talent" for a mandatory talent show. The language is playful, light, and rather masterful. Heart-warming.

Clementine deals with this problem with humor and irreverence, but it doesn't really work, she's still super nervous. Her mind works overtime to figure a way out.

"You have to work this week? I quick squeezed the word 'might' in between 'I' and 'have to move this week'. 'Might' is a helpful word when you are not exactly telling the truth. 'You might have to move this week?' 'You're moving to Egypt?' I nodded again. You never know....'Elevators in the great pyramids?'" pg 23

"Dad, I'm serious! OK, seriuously, let's see. You're good at math, obviously. You're an amazing artist. And you're really good at seeing things from a fresh angle, having new ideas. And you're the queen of noticing things. You're curious and you ask the most interesting questions. Dad, I can't do that stuff on stage!" pg 37

Clementine's nemesis.friend is Margaret, who has so many talents she can't decide which to choose. She finally settles on "Dressing Fashionably."

In the end, due to a series of mishaps, Clementine becomes the 'director' of the show, and nails it. Then she goes out for chocolate cake with her parents.

Very good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Talented Clementine.