Jeremy Schoolfield's Reviews > Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor

Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor by Matthew Woodring Stover

Aug 31, 11

Read in August, 2011

Perhaps I've just read too many Star Wars books, but this one just didn't do it for me. I had hopes with Stover getting a chance to play with all the classic characters. But the setup was confusing, the villain was uninteresting, and like a bad action movie, way too many unnamed soldiers died with almost no care given to their loss (though Stover does take time out to mourn the deaths of the presumed "bad" soldiers, go figure). It all felt a little too overdone.

What saves it is Stover's handling of the primary SW characters, especially Han, Chewie, and, surprisingly, R2-D2. Yes, the little droid is given important "screen time" in this novel, and Stover dives into one of the universe's pivotal characters in a way no one has done before. Stover provides moving new insight into R2's character, and those few scenes make it worth reading this book alone. That and the laugh-out-loud (in a good way) descriptions of what can happen when you make a Wookie angry.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor.