Christina's Reviews > Love is a Mix Tape

Love is a Mix Tape by Rob Sheffield

Jan 08, 09

bookshelves: 2009
Read in January, 2009

What? A life told through music? Sign me up. Rob Sheffield tells most of his life story through mix tapes he's made--from the geeky 13 year old making a tape for a school dance on through coping with incredible loss (don't worry, you find that out in the first chapter) and moving on from it too. His commentary on the greatness that was 90s music is moving, and despite the fact that I've never heard of many of the songs he's chosen (makes sense since he got married in 1991 and I remember singing "Smells like Teen Spirit" in the lunch line at my middle school), his story is a great read. Despite being so heavily about the music, it's really not about the music.

I really enjoyed Sheffield's writing style, and now am inspired to download some of the music he mentions in his book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love is a Mix Tape.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Suzanne (suz&mark) I loved this one too- I read it a month or two ago. Im wondering if you got it off my list? I dont know if you watch those "I love the 80s, 90s etc" shows on vh1 but he is one of the talking heads. Suzanne (suz&mark)

Christina Probably not--I received it from PBS in October.

And yes, I did realize he was on those because I was watching The Best Hard Rock songs and saw him, realized I had his book, and sat down to read it. I kept picturing him as he looks on the show.