Susan's Reviews > Rose Daughter

Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley

Jan 07, 2009

bookshelves: young-adult, fiction-adult

I recommend this retelling of Beauty and the Beast, but with a disclaimer. I don't know. I felt like the story was beautiful but its slow pacing especially in the beginning, is bound to put off some readers. For that reason I might suggest it to other adults before some teens.

I hadn't realized this is a second take on the subject for her, and as I haven't read Beauty I can't compare it. The story of Beauty and the Beast might just be my favorite fairy tale though, and compared to its original fairy tale and variants this was based on, it holds up very nicely. The world is rich and engrossing and I enjoyed seeing Beauty's sisters more fleshed out and given their own adventures. The growing relationship between Beauty and the Beast is handled especially well. Although the pace was slow, I felt like the way the story spun out worked with the material---as if the enchantment was gradually building. The ending might be a bit surprising to some, but I felt McKinley pulled it off. My only real complaint was that the back story of the beast and the curse felt incredibly convoluted---not least because we are fed a couple of different variations of it before the 'real" story comes out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rose Daughter.