Bonnie's Reviews > Telegraph Avenue

Telegraph Avenue by Michael Chabon

Oct 14, 12

Read from September 25 to October 14, 2012

At first I thought it would take me awhile to engage with the story but it's grabs you from the get go.

Here's a quote from page 10: (on fatherhood) "You never would get through to the end of being a father, no matter where you stored your mind or how many steps in the series you followed. Not even if you died. Alive or dead or a thousand miles distant, you were always going to be on the hook for work that was neither a procedure nor a series of steps but, rather, something that demanded your full, constant attention without necessarily calling you to do, perform, or say anything at all. Archy's own father had walked out on him and his mother when Archy was not much older than Rolando English, and even though for a few years afterward, as his star briefly ascended, Luther Stallings still came around, paid his child support on time, took Archy to A's games, to Marriott's great America and what not, there was something further required of old Luther that never materialized, some part of him that never showed up, even when he was standing right beside Archy. Fathering imposed an obligation that was more than your money, your body, or your time, a presence neither physical nor measurable by clocks: open-ended, eternal, and invisible, like the commitment of gravity to the stars."

I love reading this guy. His vocabulary is amazing or is it his style? It takes me awhile to read his books b/c when I read a paragraph I then think, what, what did I just read? Then I have to go back and read it again to make sure I know what he's talking about or it's so beautiful or so whacky that I want to read it again.
The characters are rich and real, I miss them all and wonder what they are doing now. I loved this book, maybe a sequel is in order? This book is about family, all kinds of family, fathers especially and brothers and sisters and best friends and love and devotion.
I highly recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Telegraph Avenue.