bookczuk's Reviews > Johnny Tremain

Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes

Jan 08, 09

bookshelves: bookcrossing, kids-of-most-ages, places-i-have-been, worth-the-reread
Read in January, 2009

This was sooooo much fun to re-read. It was assigned reading in Mr Shaunessey's 7th grade Language Arts class at East Ladue Junior High back in the 60's. I didn't remember much of it to be honest, just that it was about a boy in Boston, during the Revolutionary War.

In the interim, I majored in history in college, read a whole lot more both fact and fiction on the Revolutionary War, lived in Charleston (where both the Revolutionary and Civil Wars has a huge impact) and married a man who was once related to the descendants of Billy Dawes (indeed, my step-daughter is a great-great-something or other of his. He was the one who actually got through when Paul Revere was captured. But he was a cobbler, and Revere was a Silversmith. I guess Longfellow saw all the silver made by Revere, but no one was bragging on shoes made by Billy. But I digress.)

The story is well-told, bringing life to life at that time in description. The story is a good one-- I suppose one could find all kinds of lessons in it, once you look past the historic facts. But I liked reading of Johnny, Rab, Cilla and the others. Human nature holds true.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Johnny Tremain.