Cara's Reviews > Dicey's Song

Dicey's Song by Cynthia Voigt

Feb 07, 14

bookshelves: favorites, realistic-fiction, series, recommended-to-me, siblings
Recommended to Cara by: Valerie
Read in August, 2009, read count: 3

When I was at the library looking at the spine of this book I noticed how well worn and tattered it was,(a sure sign the book has been checked out many times). I began to scratch the back of my head wondering "Do I really want to read this again and run the risk of ruining my image of the book? " I took the plunge anyways and once I started to read again my doubts faded away. This book ALWAYS makes my heart go all fuzzy.

Dicey's song is the sequel to Homecoming (another great read), but I had read this one first and I had no trouble following it. I'm certain must young adult readers would find this book somewhat boring with all these high action books we have now (Don't get me wrong I love reading those too!) Every once in awhile I like reading something that touches what life is all about.

I'm convinced that the Tillerman family is real. When I read this moving story the first time I wanted to be Dicey. You get her and sympathize with her even if she is a little rough around the edges. She cares little about what other people think and strives to do right by her family and herself. Being twelve years old in the book, this is no small feat. She really is wise beyond her years. Every single character is drawn out perfectly. From funny Sammy all the way to tough loving Gram.

I feel the love and the care come from this family through the pages. Voight does all this without using any kind of pretentious language. That's real talent. I have no complaints. Wouldn't change a single word.

My review doesn't even touch the surface of doing it justice.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dicey's Song.

07/29/2009 page 16
08/01/2009 page 156
76.47% "Still one of my all time favorites." 2 comments
08/02/2009 page 204
100.0% "I even got a little choked up in the end. *sniff*"