Eric Nixon's Reviews > The Homemade Pantry: 101 Foods You Can Stop Buying and Start Making

The Homemade Pantry by Alana Chernila

Nov 04, 12

Read in August, 2012

I would consider most cookbooks as "reference books," in that you only open it when you need information. You refer to a single page, maybe two, and you're done. The Homemade Pantry is not like most cookbooks. Yes, it has recipes, but they are only part of the equation this book presents. Combine the great and oft-made recipes with deeply personal, heartfelt, and real-life ("warts and all") stories of a family and their food with truly art-like photographs, and you get an idea of how wonderful this book is. This is the first cookbook where I've sat down and read it like a regular book, from cover-to-cover. The stories alone are worth the price, but the recipes add another dimension to it by bringing me back again and again. Often I'm making a recipe, and then get caught up re-reading it. the Homemade Pantry is definitely the most useful, interesting, and beautiful cookbook I've ever owned.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Homemade Pantry.