Deb's Reviews > Clubbing

Clubbing by Andi Watson

Aug 07, 07

bookshelves: graphic_novels, young-adult
Recommended for: teenage girls who read graphic novels
Read in August, 2007

Minx, the new graphic novel line for girls, is really not trying at all. The first one, The Plain Janes, wasn't well written but had a decent plot & art style. This second release? The writer should be shot. There was no plot set-up and scenes were unpredictable at best or out-of-the-blue at worst, and the main character was so completely stereotypical that she had no depth whatsoever. The art is decent, but very similiar to Kim Possible.

C'mon, DC Comics. Do better than this, please. Otherwise the American female comic market is never going to touch the appeal that Japanese & Korean mangas have. With this kind of crap being released, how can you expect any sort of loyalty from your readership?

I have Re-gifters enroute right now and high expectations for a rebound; Mike Carey, the author, already has book cred with me for a previous comic. If even HE can't pull something decent out of his hat for this imprint, I wash my hands of it and will begin composing a letter to DC Comics offering my editing services because they are obviously in need of someone who can find better authors than dime-a-dozen hack writers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clubbing.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth I'm bummed, this book looked like fun. :-(

message 2: by Deb (last edited Sep 15, 2008 05:35PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Deb It wants to be! The end is totally unpredictable (you might like that part at least). I think the thing I hated most about this book is that if the plot was ever graphed, the story line would bear a strong resemblance to something drawn by a kangaroo on a pogo stick. Re-gifters was better, but not enough to redeem Minx's failure as an imprint.

If you're looking for a good new manga series, though, I've got three you should read: Skip Beat!, Platinum Garden, and Never Give Up. The verdict's still out on the last one, but it had a strong first volume and the rest of the series is arriving in the mail this week.