Caroline's Reviews > Shadows in Flight

Shadows in Flight by Orson Scott Card

Sep 26, 12

bookshelves: sci-fi, recent-books
Read on September 25, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Very disappointed.

I've been looking forward to this book for so long and was expecting it to be a fantastic finish to the Ender/Shadow books. It wasn't.

Mainly - where's the rest of it? Given how long we waited for this book, I expected it to be more tome-like. It felt like OSC had written a short story (which, by the way, tend to be excellent insights into the Enderverse and I love), his publishers had told him to write a book so he pulled this out and added 100 pages of trailing through the Formic ship. I read it in definitely under three hours - even though the page count isn't crazily low, the font size and formatting eats into a lot of space.

Nothing really happened, there were far too many detailed descriptions of the ships and technology which then went nowhere (unless there's going to be another book?).

They didn't even resolve, really, the main point of the book - to cure the children - they administered the "cure" and, granted, they're geniuses so it probably works, but we have no firm answer. Instead, they raised a whole raft of new questions about Formics and whether the Hive Queen lied to Ender, and ended with them about to launch a colonisation and breeding programme, of which we obviously know nothing.

The whole book felt very much like OSC had pressure on him to write something (to satisfy his publishers, fans, to pay his wife's credit card? Who knows.) but that he's run out of ideas, so just cobbled something together. I very nearly pre-ordered this book, and it's very rare for me to buy books new being more of a library/charity shop/yard sale person. I'm so glad I didn't. It would have been a total waste of money. As it is, the $2 I paid for it seems steep.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadows in Flight.