dara's Reviews > Shardik

Jan 06, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read from May 10 to 15, 2011

I (like anyone else with a pulse) loved Watership Down so it was only a matter of time before I gave Shardik a chance to win my heart. It didn't quite. There are aspects I enjoyed, moments when I was truly invested in the characters, but those moments (the conversations between Elleroth and Mollo, for example) were fleeting. I wasn't fond of the main character Kelderek, and he, not Shardik, is the focus of the book. People... how boring! ;)

"As a man led to judgment might halt to listen to the sound of a girl singing; as the eye of one just told of his own mortal illness might stray out of the window to dwell for an instant upon the flash of some bright-plumaged bird among the trees; as some devil-may-care fellow might drain a glass and dance a spring on the scaffold--so, it seemed, not only Genshed's inclination but also his self-respect now impelled him in this, his own utter disaster, to pause a few moments to enjoy the rare and singular misery of Radu."

Pretty sentence? Or dreadfully boring? There are so many long, flowery comparisons throughout the book that it wears a little thin on my patience at times. Just because it's a 600 page sci-fi fantasy epic doesn't mean every sentence has to be of epic length.

It did regain my interest for awhile towards the end with the characters Radu and Shara. Also, I appreciate seeing the same characters through an outside perspective during the last thirty-some pages. Still, if in 600 pages, a book can't make me feel the least bit sympathetic for the main character... then I bitch on GoodReads?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shardik.

05/11/2011 page 43
05/13/2011 page 229
38.0% "I wish science fiction/fantasy novels spent less time describing buildings, the history of those buildings, the ruins of those buildings, etc. Buildings don't interest me, but I think this is a genre thing and not something to take up with Adams personally."
05/14/2011 page 300
50.0% "The power went out and I only read seventy pages? For shame."
show 2 hidden updates…