Lori's Reviews > A Voice in the Wind

A Voice in the Wind by Francine Rivers

Aug 14, 2013

bookshelves: all-time-favorites, faith-building, historical-fiction, series
Recommended to Lori by: my husband's sister
Read in June, 2013

1994 Impressions...My husband's sister recommended this as one of the best books she had ever read and she was a prolific reader. I took it on a get-away weekend and almost put it away because the first 70 pages dealt with the fall of Jerusalem in 70 AD and that was NOT what I wanted to read during my "get-away". Don't get me wrong, it was well written, but not what I was expecting or looking for at the time.

I'm so glad I stuck with this story. This was my first novel by this author and certainly not my last. I could not put this book down and spent many nights reading this series into the wee hours of the morning.

I won't go into the details of the series because you can find that so many other places. What I will say is that at church one day, the pastor was making a reference to John and couldn't remember where he was at a particular time. I piped up and said, "Ephesus. He was in Ephesus. I was there with him last night."

2013 Update - Since I was recently visiting Rome and Ephesus, Turkey the 2 main locations featured in this book and Audible had a great sale, I decided to re-read this in preparation for that trip. I must say that I did not enjoy my 2013 reading of this as much as my 1994 reading. Still a good story but not the "best book read in years" as it was the first time around.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Voice in the Wind.

message 1: by Liz (new)

Liz When it was this I loved it too but I was in middle school or high school. I'm thinking I'd probably have the same reaction if I read it again.