Jen's Reviews > Broken Harbour

Broken Harbour by Tana French

F_50x66
Sep 25, 12

Read in September, 2012

This lady is one of my new favorite authors. Her first book I read a few years ago was breathtaking, and she's done it again and again. Her genre--that she has mastered--seems like your typical British Isles murder mystery, but somehow, in every book, there is this slight touch of the supernatural running through it, just enough to totally creep you out and keep you on the edge of your seat while your reading. It's never overtly supernatural, things are explained in the end for the most part, but boy, you are on the knife's edge while reading. You want to shout to the characters, Noooo! You care about these characters, even if you don't like them very much. The author always foreshadows in the beginning that things don't turn out so well, so you should be warned, but she sucks you in anyways. This one was probably not my favorite of her 3 or 4 books she's written so far, but I think that was partially because I was repeatedly interrupted during the reading of the climatic scenes, and partially the subject matter. Warnings: some language, definitely gore spattered crime scenes. Otherwise, a reader's delight. Will keep you up at night.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken Harbour.