Anita's Reviews > Elfhome

Elfhome by Wen Spencer

Sep 25, 12

bookshelves: five-star-favorites, science-fiction, paranormal-romance, paranormal-mystery, fantasy-traditional
Read in September, 2012

This is book 3 in the Tinker series, which is an amazing mash up of a bunch of areas I like: contemporary fantasy, sci fi, mystery, romance, and fairytale. It's wonderfully written with great characters and very intricate plots. My only complaint about this series is the wait between books. Tinker - 2003, Wolf Who Rules - 2006, Elfhome - 2012. There's plenty of room at the end of Elfhome for at least one more book, so I will be anxiously awaiting it.

It took me quite a while to remember the important bits from books 1 and 2, but by the middle of Elfhome, I was back in the groove. Wolf Who Rules ended with Pittsburg stranded on Elfhome - no longer flitting through dimensions to visit Earth one day a month. The Oni had started an invasion of Elfhome, but the dimensional portal was closed before the main force got through. Oni breed quickly, though, so the Elves are trying to find their nests and eradicate them. It's the second month of the war, humans are starting to get low on supplies, and Tinker is recovering from a broken arm that decreases her ability to cast spells. Oilcan, her cousin, finds a lost Elf child and realizes that many others are missing. He and Tinker find where the Oni were holding them, and it's gruesome. Oilcan develops a relationship with a warrior bodyguard, adopts all 5 surviving Elf children, and starts to set up an enclave. Later a long-lost Elf relative shows up and turns him into an Elf. Meanwhile, Tiger Lily is kidnapped by Oni and Tommy (half-oni) rescues her. Then there's the main plot - how the Oni are always one step ahead, causing strife among the allies. It's a fantastic book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Elfhome.